Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Powerful, Inspiring Women - Frida Kahlo


Not so long ago I made a conscious decision to, on a regular basis, influence myself with the art, music or dance of women whom I find powerful and inspiring. This came on the heels of feeling absolutely disgusted with the vast majority of fashion magazines and other popular entertainment we are pummled with constantly. There is no place for powerful or artistic women in modern entertainment. She is cut, butchered, rearranged, disempowered and left to lie bleeding at the feet of a man as he walks away. I could go on but I'll get back to my evening. Tonight's chosen feature was The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo. I am so enchanted with Frida, her highly personal art, her style, the way she always wore fresh flowers in her hair. It's like she stepped in through from another world and though she was not immune to pain by any means, her mantra was always vitality and life. The last painting she ever did, 8 days before she died, was a still life of juicy watermelons cut in various ways. At the bottom, carved into a slice she wrote -"Viva la Vida" ... Long Live Life.

No comments: