Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Life stuff and Yacon spirit cookies


I broke up with coffee.  We just weren't working anymore.  As of this weekend I have officially moved on in my life!  Though I'm having a rebound affair with Yerba Mate... oh I've flirted with him in the past, it's just that he is helping me quite a bit to not miss or think about You Know Who anymore!  I'm also strictly off sugar.  I already have a pretty strict avoidance policy but for now this is also extending to honey, maple syrup and even agave.  I used something called Yacon syrup in cookies I made with millet flour that came out delicious.  Yacon is really cool. It's a root from Peru that tastes sweet yet has no sugar.  Plus it's fun to say.  I told a friend of mine I made Yacon sweetened millet seed cookies and she about died with laughter. Yeah... fine...go on and laugh! Actually I was laughing the whole time I was making them.  I fully realize what a weirdo I am. ;)  Ok, so as I was saying, sugar hates me big time.  This past week my hypoglycemia was out of control.  It's always been somewhat of an issue but lately it's become a really big issue, hence me breaking up with coffee and all things sweet.  I've also let go of the goal of someday being 100% raw food.  Emphasis on raw with Mediterranean works best for my body. I'm cool with that, going to let expectations and guilt go, for good. I've been experimenting with whole grains -millet, amaranth, black rice, wild rice, etc. more and I've found whole grains plus beans make me feel like I can function again.  Amino acid combinations, and all that.

I've fallen back in love with clothing and style again.  This past year I went extremely simplistic in terms of style because I didn't feel inspired, quite honestly.  The only thing that stoked the fires of inspiration somewhat was the fashions of ancient Greece. But most of the time I was running off to school and not thinking artistically.  I'm feeling artistic urges tingling again.  Music, painting, design, sewing, dance.  I officially have too many interests!  I guess that never goes away completely but it comes in waves, sometimes stronger than other times.

My hair is healthy again.  Monoi de Tahiti oil is the bomb, folks. Magical gardenias plucked by moonlight and soaked in coconut oil. Seriously. It wouldn't even look any better if unicorns made it themselves. If I did a before and after picture it would be a picture of a bale of hay and then a Pantene commercial. Ok, maybe not that bad but you get my drift. I like my hair again! Hooray.

My exam is in 2 weeks and that will be another big, huge checkmark on my list! Getting in that last bit of studying, especially Chinese medicine, which is delightful and confusing all at the same time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just thought I'd leave a quick message to let you know how much I enjoy reading your posts :)

Shannon Lyn said...

Thank you and nice to meet you! Following you back, nice blog to you too.